Sunday, June 22, 2008

So Swirly Wheel Tutorial

Well it's about time I posted another tutorial for you - it's been a while!
This one will show you a few things you may not have seen before. I'm going to show you how to get more than one colour on your Stampin' Around Wheels using markers and I'll also who you the Crop-a-dile.

Here's the card I'm going to show you how to create:

Spray some Stampin' Mist onto a cotton bud and use it to remove the Mellow Moss ink from the flowers on the wheel.  I like to start at the seam of the wheel so I know where I have started and therefore where to finish.  
Now use your Pretty in Pink marker (from the Soft Subtles marker set) to colour in those flowers you have removed the Mellow Moss ink from.
Wheel this onto a piece of Whisper White cardstock slightly smaller than the front of your card.  About 10cm x 14.3cm should give you a 0.25cm border all the way around.

Here's a close up of how it looks with the 2 colours on there.

Using Mellow Moss ink, stamp the flower image from the "Priceless" stamp set onto Whisper White card.

Punch out the image with the 1 and 1/4 inch (32mm) circle punch.
Use the 1 and 3/8 inch circle punch to punch out a layer of Pretty in Pink.
Punch out a scallop from Whisper White.
Use SNAIL adhesive to stick all 3 layers together. Normally this would be quite hard to punch a hole through for your eyelet but the Crop-a-dile does it really easily.
Using the smaller hole punch, punch through all 3 layers.  You need very little pressure to do this.  You don't have to have a lot of strength in your hands to use the Crop-a-dile.  It takes very little effort to punch right through layers of cardstock, chipboard, plastic and even tin.
Pop in a Pretty in Pink eyelet.
Set the eyelet using the C3 setting on the Crop-a-dile.  Again, it will set your eyelet so easily with very little pressure.
Stamp the greeting in Mellow Moss ink on a piece of Mellow Moss cardstock about 9.5cm x 4cm.
Using the A1 setting on the Crop-a-dile you can dry emboss some little cirlces randomly all over this piece of cardstock.  Just use a very light touch to do this - you don't need to squeeze hard at all.

Here's how it looks with little circles dry embossed all over.
Adhere your white layer to the card base and then the Mellow Moss layer to the top part of the white piece.  I used SNAIL adhesive for my layers.  Now all you need to do is put a few Dimensional adhesives on the back of your scallop and pop that on the top right hand corner of the card.  And there you go - all done!

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial on using markers on your wheels and using the Crop-a-dile for eyelets and dry embossing.

6 comments:

Carol Dunstan said...

I used to think people were insane for using markers on wheels when I saw it in the technique booklets, but then I tried it myself one day... it's not as hard or time consuming as you think! Great card, the embossing is particularly effective

Bec Ross said...

Carol, I thought exactly the same thing myself at first! But you are right, it doesn't take much time at all to clean off a few little parts and colour them. Very quick and easy really.

Lin Mei said...

Great tutorial, Bec. Lots of little details which make it very informative :)

Sarah-Jane Kalé said...

Hi Bec

Just wanted to let you know that you Tutorial is great. I've been a little scared to use my wheel, but think I'll give it a go now and use it at a workshop!!! People always seemed to be interested in them!!!

Great Job

Sarah

Diane Barnes said...

Hi Rebecca
This is my first time visiting your blog & just wanted to say I love your work & thanks for sharing it.
This is a really lovely card & a fab tutorial - great pics & clear instructions. I'll have to try it out - love that swirly wheel!
Best wishes, Di :)

Felicity said...

Ah! I wondered how people were doing this! Thanks so much for the tutorial :)